Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sushi and six-year-olds

My friend Elana and I took our sons out for sushi last night. It was Saturday night. I don't know what we were thinking. My boyfriend was out to dinner with his neighbor, who is also the last woman he dated, who is also my neighbor's sister (and by the way she's hot) .... and Elana's husband had a stomach virus. So we ordered all this delicious stuff, including a sake tasting -- 6 little cups of sake (sooo good), from sweet and cloudy white to clear with a kick like grain alcohol. The boys ate yakitori (Zach calls it chicken on a stick). My son, a slightly more adventurous eater, also ate salad, some of Elana's miso soup, and the tobiko off the top of our wasabi tobiko roll. The boys had portable electronic games with them, and we actually had a pretty nice time. There was a major soy sauce spill that resulted in a table flood, but that was about it. Our boys say they're best friends and want to be friends forever. They said in the car that they want their graves to be next to each other. They are like Oscar and Felix, they're so different, but they adore each other and make each other laugh like nobody's business.

I love my friend Elana, too.

Okay, really good song, kind of haunting: Damien Rice's 9 Crimes. Go listen.

Ooh, it's late. I was going to write about other stuff. I told David tonight that his shiksa girlfriend (me) made possibly the best chicken soup ever. It's really good -- lots of white meat, big pieces, and perfect savory broth seasoned with Penzey's Spices (www. penzeys.com), which are the BEST and make food taste light years better.

Good night.

No comments: