Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day 2007

The recap of my mother's day .... had hinted to my 6-year-old son that I would like breakfast in bed. Mentioned that D, who sleeps over on the nights when he doesn't have his kids, could help him with stuff that was too hard to reach or do. Of course, as I should have known, he would have nothing to do with that. So at 6am I heard stirrings and at 6:05am, there was my little man, bedside, with a plastic bowl full of pretzels and a plastic cup of pineapple juice.

I took the obligatory sip and crunch and then thanked the heavens above, the tooth fairy, Santa, and Oprah, because the sweet bundle of sleepy skin and pajamas crawled under the covers and fell asleep all cuddled up with me for another 45 minutes.

Then, D got up and made the coffee, and little guy brought my cup in to me. A pretty darn good Mother's Day morning, I have to say.

This is what my Mother's Day card said:

Dear Mommy,
Happy Mother' Day
Your wish is my kmand.
You're a part of my heart.
You're nice and kind.
Mom your beautiful
Mommy I love you.

It doesn't really get any better than that.

I was going to tell you what happened later in the day. Because I did eventually find myself crumpled in a ball on the kitchen step stool, sobbing my little heart out. My life is a balance. But now I'm going to skip that part.

And tell you just this: I took my mother to the spring Dogwood Festival nearby, it was a beautiful day, the trees were dripping with innocent lushness, and I bought her a pair of loud, lime-green flip-flops with giant fabric daisies glued on them. She smiled, and I know she was really glad to be with me on Mother's Day. Sometimes, it doesn't take much.

So we got through our first Mother's Day without my dad. I'm trying not to think about next month. My birthday is two days before Father's Day. Father's Day will not be so easy, I'm thinking. I miss him more than I can even come to terms with in any sort of adult way.

And now, the happy stuff ....

Newly discovered websites I love: zappos.com, pandora.com, wellsphere.com, recipezaar.com.

Bye.

No comments: